Dwarf on Back
The Whispered One, God of Secrets, The Maimed God
The leader of Vecna’s followers spreads certain misguided teachings of Vecna through a transcript of lies. Vecna’s lieutenant harnesses great power, both of her own and of unwilling allies. Vecna himself is on the move – he will attempt to re-enter the Realms through evil machinations formed long ago, and only now coming to fruition.
The game is set; the match will take place. Who will come out the victor?
Vecna was an ancient, lesser Netherese deity. Little about him was documented. It is often speculated that he existed in places other than Faerun, but wishes to make a presence in the Realms as well. His attempts were met with limited success; specifically, he successfully became the God of Secrets, and attempted to become a lesser deity of magic – but Mystryl would have none of it.
Vecna has two interests: secrets and magic, particularly when the two combine. As such, he maintained clandestine cells throughout the Realms during the various states of Faerun’s growth – most prominently, during the fall of the Netherese empire. It was speculated that Vecna was not banished to the Realms during the Time of Troubles, as the rest of the gods were; however, it is far more likely that he simply made a secretive entrance and departure from the Realms, protected from detection by his own power and followers.
Little is known as fact about Vecna’s core faithful. The following is an amalgamation of rumors and, quite possibly, lies spread by The Maimed God’s followers:
- Each position in Vecna’s cult is named for a certain body part. At the top is Vecna himself, followed by the Voice of Vecna, which can only be filled by Vecna’s manifestation.
- Next is the Heart of Vecna, the high priest of the cult.
- Immediately below the Heart of Vecna are two bizarre monsters known as the Hand and the Eye. The Eye of Vecna creature appears as a slender humanoid with an eyeball for a head, whereas the Hand of Vecna appears as a stocky humanoid with a huge left hand where its head should be.
- Individual congregations are known as organs. Each organ is led by a Thought of Vecna. Lesser priests are known as Memories of Vecna.
- Lay members of the cult consist of the Teeth, Fingers, Blood, and Spawn of Vecna. The Teeth of Vecna are made up of wizards, and specialize in arcane spellcasting and crafting magical items for the cult. The Fingers of Vecna consist mainly of thieves, who engage in various forms of subterfuge. The Blood of Vecna are mainly warriors charged with protection and enforcement of the cult and its goals. The Spawn of Vecna are the lowest in the cult hierarchy, and consist of the common people who honor the Lich Lord.